Dr. Derek Hoffman, DDS
Dr. Hoffman is a Nebraska native from Edgar, and received his undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, from Midland University in 2011. He graduated summa cum laude, and went on to earn his Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the University of Nebraska, Medical Center College of Dentistry. Dr. Hoffman strives to provide his patients with the perfect smiles and is always looking to improve his skills by reading and taking continuing education classes.
Dr. Hoffman belongs to the following organizations:
Dr. Hoffman’s pursuit of dentistry was sparked by the hard work of his parents. His mother stressed the importance of education, while his father taught that hard work and responsibility for one’s actions is the recipe for success. Dr. Hoffman likes the idea of “getting your hands dirty”, and loves alleviating pain, agony, or an unpleasant smile of someone in need.
The team at Family and Implant Dentistry treats their patients like family; a characteristic that Dr. Hoffman is extremely proud of. They put the patient above all else, something no other dental practice does.
Outside the office, Dr. Hoffman loves to work on his family farm, hunt, fish, and cheer on the Cornhuskers. He stresses the importance of living a healthy lifestyle, which includes hiking, biking, snow skiing, waterskiing, and anything else that involves the outdoors. Dr. Hoffman also enjoys playing acoustic guitar and doing small acoustic shows.
Fun Fact: Dr. Hoffman holds the pole vault record at Dana College, and his record will never be broken. He broke the record his Freshman year and the school shut down in 2010.
How do I choose the right dentist?
It’s crucial that you trust your dentist and feel confident in the treatment you receive. Here are 5 helpful tips for choosing the best dentist:
- Check their qualifications. Your dentist should be certified by the American Dental Association (ADA) and actively pursue continuing education to remain at the forefront of their field.
- Make sure your insurance plan is accepted.
- Get recommendations from friends, family, and doctors you trust.
- For your convenience and peace of mind, choose a dentist who can meet all of your family’s needs. You don’t want to juggle appointments with a separate pediatric, cosmetic, and restorative dentist if it’s not necessary.
- Make sure you feel comfortable with not only your prospective dentist, but with the entire practice as a whole. Visit the office and talk with other staff members before your appointment to ensure you always receive the compassionate care you expect.
What questions should I ask my dentist?
When you’re looking for a new dentist, it’s a good idea to interview them so you can be sure they’ll meet all of your specific needs. Questions you should ask include:
- How long have you been practicing?
- Where did you study?
- Do you hold any advanced certifications?
- What professional associations are you a member of?
- Have you received any awards or honors?
- Can you show me patient reviews and before-and-after photos?
What should I look for in a dental practice?
Choosing the right dentist for your family is only part of the process—you also want to ensure the environment of the overall practice meets your needs. When evaluating a dentist’s office, here are some key things to consider:
- Is the office clean and comfortable?
- What steps are being taken to ensure patient comfort? For example, are headphones available? Is there a television screen in the treatment area?
- Is this an environment where you and your family will feel comfortable and relaxed? If you’re seeking a pediatric dentist, is the office equipped to entertain younger patients? How does the staff interact with children?
- Does the practice feature any advanced equipment? Having the latest technology at your disposal will ensure faster, more precise treatments.